Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Midnight Musings

I feel like writing nothing but a load of crap. My mind is pretty much empty- I think I'm going to make blogging a nightly routine. It's 110 am and I'm lying in bed comforted by the convenience of posting entries from my phone. I really have nothing to say but there's an internal urge that is prodding me to continue writing. I'm completely blank. Freud termed what I'm doing right now as "free association". Maybe you could psychoanalyze my post eventually. Maybe you'll uncover facets of my subconscious and unconscious that I, myself, have been disconnected from. This is a good way to fall asleep as well.

Today I discovered my loyalty towards humanistic psychology. It's quite ironic because just till about a month ago, I believed that it was just a load of bull- abstract, subjective, idealistic, optimistic and very artificially constructed. I have always invested more faith into more scientific and objective schools of thought such as the biological and behavioral paradigms of understanding how and why people behave the way they do. To me, humanism was analogous to a fairy-tale that was written on a whim to please a child- unreal, irrational and often misleading. But then, very recently, I chanced upon the works of theorists such as Horney, Maslow, Kelly and Rogers. I began to read and study what all of these people said about humans and humanity in general, about how to deal with clients during therapy, about what sort of world view one should adopt when trying to understand the next person. Although many of the ideas that have been presented contain gaps and unexplainable black holes, the underlying message/concept is one that holds the most significance.


To be continued. the writer has suddenly experienced a indescribable need to fall asleep. She's not sure if she's still typing or not.

Okay I'm back; it's 449 pm- the next afternoon.

I'd like to expand on my previous attempts to introduce humanistic psychology to my blog. Here is Carl Rogers' theory on how humans function.

1 comment:

muniba nasr said...

Although i don't agree with Rogers' perception of all humans as inherently 'good', I find myself agreeing 100% with his emphasis on living in the present.
As someone who used to be quite religiously conservative in the past, i know how important it is to live in the moment and for the moment. When i used to be very religious, i was completely future oriented-always worrying about the possible consequences my present actions would have in the afterlife. As a result, i found myself constantly under stress and fighting a battle with myself- a battle between 'wrong' and 'right',what was 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable',etc.
However, since the last 4 or 5 years, I have actually started enjoying life, and I think one of the biggest reasons for that has been my decision to live in the present. No, i havent given up my religious beliefs altogether, but I have decided that constantly worrying about my future and focusing entirely on religion will not make my present a happy one.